Llanelli Naturalists Newsletter - December 1984
Ian Morgan
As some members may know, the present Llanelli Naturalists is not the first to exist in the town, for a society of the same name was holding meetings almost exactly a century ago in the early 1880' s. A note in the "Llanelly and County Guardian” of 17 February 1881, reports on meeting about "Iron and it's Compounds – a Naturalists Point of View” given by that well known historian of “Old Llanelly” fame, John Innes. Other important 'Llanellyites' of the day were also present – Mr. Trubshaw, Mr. Nevill and Mrs Margraves, all of whose families ‘left, their mark’ on Llanelli. Surprisingly, not; much of actual natural history seems to have been discussed, for later a Mr Rogers of Highfield gave a lecture on Russian plates:
An earlier Meeting, the first of the society, “was meagrely attended” in the same newspaper of 26 8 1880), but 1981 meeting suggests, the society must subsequently been able to establish itself.
Thanks are due to Mr R.H. Davies of Llanelli Public Library for obtaining the above information.
IKM 29 Nov 1984